I didn’t know what to expect at the ocean this time. I was in a weird place inside, kind of in the middle of everything; I’m not sure how to explain it. It was just a strange place to be in my heart. When we drove to the coast and I got my first glimpse of the ocean in a while, doubts crept in. I had always secretly wondered, ever since that first time I heard from God at the ocean, if I was really hearing Him or simply my own ideas. I wanted this to be real! My expectations were not high.
Then God put a song in my head: “Vice Verses” by Switchfoot. I know this song may seem weird and confusing to you, but it has always made sense to me, because it talks about my experiences with the ocean! At least that’s my interpretation. The part that I heard God playing for me was: the ocean telling me a thousand stories/ none of them are lies/. He was telling me to trust Him, to not only believe in the things He tells me but also to believe in that fact that He really is speaking!
With that being said, here’s what I heard from my time on the cold and windy but beautiful beach: (To understand the first three, read Matthew 7:24-27: Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it.)
- Sand that looks solid can crack and sink right under my feet.
- Rocks appear on the sand– not the entire rock, but a piece, a glimpse, a little proof.
- I know it’s not very well-done, but click on the picture on the right to look at a diagram I drew– A FISH! I saw this as we drove past the ocean! Even on the sand, rocks and water (Jesus!) sneak in to touch those without them!
- The wind and the ocean don’t stay on the shore, but things are changed by them; they leave their mark, you can tell where they were. AND, they come back.
- Waves come in stages. If you stand on the shore you wait for them, but if you’re IN the ocean you don’t feel the waves as much because you’re inside them.
- I’d been on this same beach (or path, you could say) before but didn’t realize it for a long time. Other people had, too, because I saw their footprints. Many of us have walked the same way, even when it doesn’t look like it, when you can’t see the signs.
- As I walked, for a long time I was looking down at the ground at all the little sand flea holes. When I looked up at my path, I couldn’t even see them! They did not affect me at all when I didn’t focus on them.
If you don’t understand these, feel free to ask me about them, or anything on your mind. I love talking. And if you don’t know if you should believe God is speaking to you, HE IS. Ask for confirmation, and listen.