[continuing with SHE]
Who is that coming up from the wilderness, leaning on her beloved? Under the apple tree I awakened you. There your mother was in labor with you; there she who bore you was in labor. Set me as a seal upon your heart, as a seal upon your arm, for love is strong as death, jealousy is fierce as the grave. Its flashes are flashes of fire, the very flame of the Lord. Many waters cannot quench love, neither can floods drown it. If a man offered for love all the wealth of his house, he would be utterly despised.
What I found: Now that she’s with Him, people don’t even recognize her! They want to know who she is when they see her leaning on Him. I am amazed by the things God has put “between the lines” in the Bible, things that if we just thought out a little longer would blow our minds! He snuck an important truth into one little, seemingly pointless verse: Who is that coming up from the wilderness, leaning on her beloved? When you lean on Jesus, letting Him guide you and be your strength and support as you walk together, people see the difference. By doing this you are doing something that makes others look and wonder, maybe even envy you– and all you have to do is act on love. All she’s doing is walking with Him, trusting Him to lead her out of the wilderness, yet people see it. They mention it to each other and ask about it; it’s amazing to them! Do you want to share the gospel simply by living your life? Lean on Him. Believe that He can show you out of the wilderness, and live in love. For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, “Fear not, I am the one who helps you.” (Isaiah 41:13). The final verses of today are somewhat famous. They’ve been put to music, inspired tattoos, printed onto t-shirts, you get it– that’s how powerful God has made them. I have a dear friend who was suicidal in middle school, and God used this part of Scripture to save her. Take a look at it:
- Set me as a seal upon your heart, as a seal upon your arm… Be a part of one another, so much so that you can’t be separated. Broadcast both the love you give and the love you receive. If I say ,”I will not mention Him, or speak any more in His name,” there is in my heart as it were a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I am weary with holding it in, and I cannot. (Jeremiah 20:9)
- for love is strong as death, jealousy is fierce as the grave… If you love each other, you will make it through all the hardships you face, because love is strong as death. Also, remember how loved you are in that His jealousy is fierce as the grave. Anything that steals your affection from Him angers Him, because He loves you so fiercely!
- Its flashes are flashes of fire, the very flame of the Lord… The fire of your love is His own Holy Spirit flame! Let this fire catch! Don’t let it be a comfortable fireplace-like flame for too long, but take comfort in the fact that these are flashes of fire. If you stoke it, it continues to burn, even if you don’t feel it all the time.
- Many waters cannot quench love, neither can floods drown it… See? The fire, if it’s love, will not end. Nothing can stop it from consuming you!
- If a man offered for love all the wealth of his house, he would be utterly despised. This love is priceless. You can’t earn it, no matter how much you offer. He already paid the price. Yes, I know I said it’s priceless– so is He.
What did you see in our Scripture today?