You are beautiful as Tirzah, my love, lovely as Jerusalem, awesome as an army with banners. Turn away your eyes from me, for they overwhelm me– Your hair is like a flock of goats leaping down the slopes of Gilead. Your teeth are like a flock of ewes that have come up from the washing; all of them bear twins; not one of them has lost its young. Your cheeks are like halves of a pomegranate behind your veil. There are sixty queens and eighty concubines, and virgins without number. My dove, my perfect one, is the only one, the only one of her mother, pure to her who bore her. The young women saw her and called her blessed; the queens and concubines also, and they praised her. “Who is this who looks down like the dawn, beautiful as the moon, bright as the sun, awesome as an army with banners?”
What I found: She’s so beautiful that she overwhelms Him. YOU are so beautiful that you overwhelm GOD. Can you fathom that?! God has seen everything, past, present, and future, but YOU are the thing that overwhelms Him! YOU are the thing that blows His mind! Isn’t that insane? Insanely wonderful! Remember this when you don’t feel amazing: you overwhelm God! What a way to start. I love this! The second thing I see is that purity is special and makes us unique. I bet you can picture that person in your school or youth group that stands out in the realm of purity. They’re just different, aren’t they? They almost carry an atmosphere with them that tells people their standards! I am a huge purity seeker, and although I mess up in a few areas more than others, I like to hope I am one of those people. I hope that when people see me, they see that I’m different in a good way, even if it’s a way they don’t understand. How can you tell if people see the purity inside you that makes you unique? I think there are many ways, and it’s a little different for everyone. A few signs I’ve noticed/people have pointed out to me:
- When a normally flirty boy doesn’t talk to you or tease you like he does the other girls. Isn’t that comforting? I sure thought it was! You’re not unappealing, you just intimidate him with your goodness! That also goes for nerdy and/or creepy guys “liking” you, because they see you’ll treat them better than other girls do.
- When people are surprised that you’ve seen [insert movie or TV show here]. By the way, that doesn’t mean you had to enjoy it!
- When normally rude people are decent to you, or even clean up their language around you. (The latter happens with me, and I like it A LOT!)
- When people have a hard time including you in conversation but seem to genuinely like you. They’re probably talking about something they know you wouldn’t relate to or approve of.
- When people go to you when they need someone to listen or godly advice.
These are just a few signs. I know that there are many more, and that maybe these don’t apply to you but others do. I think that has to do with what areas you are especially pure in and what people you are usually around. Try looking for signs of your own! You see in the passage today that people admire you, maybe are even a little jealous of you, when you carry innocence. Be sure to let people know why you are the way you are: “Jesus loves me, and I love Him too! This isn’t me you see, it’s Him. He tells me I am beautiful, and I believe it!”
This is what I found. How about you? Do you notice any signs of purity in you or someone you know?
By the way, I love this message by Mike Donehey about being God’s beloved! I was smiling as I watched it! Please enjoy!